The McKenzie method, also known as MDT, is a philosophy of active involvement and education, trusted and used by practitioners and patients all over the world. It is the most researched physiotherapy treatment system with a primary focus on empowering patients to treat themselves to relieve their back, neck and extremity problems.
There are 3 stages in the treatment program:
- The assessment protocol is unique to the McKenzie Method. It begins with gathering a thorough patient history, followed by testing movements to identify distinct patterns and causes of pain
- The nature of your problem is then thoroughly explained to the patient
- The Physiotherapist confers with the patient to advise and educate them on what they can do to help themselves
- Using the information compiled during the assessment, the clinician prescribes specific exercises and postures to form an individualized treatment plan
- Education and self-treatment allows patients to gain hands-on knowledge to not only minimize the risk of recurrence, but also to allow them to quickly manage the problem should it reappear.. The exercise that is used to resolve the current problem can also be effectively used for prevention
Research has shown that when a properly trained physiotherapist utilizes the McKenzie assessment, it can be as reliable as a CT scan or MRI in determining the source of a patient’s pain and their potential for recovery.
For more information, please visit: